1. Kids love to share what happens at home. Doesn't matter how weird or embarrassing the information is. You will know what is going on at home all the time.
2. Children love and appreciate bright, beautiful classrooms, but they will somehow manage to run into, knock over, or step on your classroom decor items that you spent hours making. Just smile and realize it can be replaced or remade.
3. Keeping extra copies around is a life saver. There are those children that can't handle not having a new paper if they make a mistake. I prefer teaching them that it's not a big deal, but for a few children, it IS the end of the world!
4. Pre-read read alouds BEFORE you actually read them to the class. Stumbling over every other word is not comfortable with 50 eyes staring at you.
5. A squirmy walk + a smushy face = Real bathroom emergency.
6. No matter what you do, some kids will always talk over you while you are teaching. And yes...it's always just as annoying.
7. Administration never fails to do a walk thru on the one day you decide to show a movie or have a classroom party. NEVER...
8. The kids think we live at school. Sometimes I threaten to keep them there all day until they finish their work and they actually believe me :)
9. Somehow they can't remember that "ea" says "e" but they memorize every single article of clothes you wear to school and point out that you finally bought a new outfit.
10. There is always one child in class that loves you so much that they begin to dress like you, cut their hair like you, and wishes they worse glasses, just like their teacher :)
Bonus: Teaching is the best job in the world and no matter how many obstacles we run into, it's always worth it!
Now go and link up with Miss Kindergarten to share your 10 things you have learned from teaching!