We continued our penguin unit this week. It worked perfectly with our Journeys story "Penguin Chick." I've always had to sneak in a penguin unit in Janury, but it was so much easier this year having a story to base our study around.
1. The kids wrote up their research with everything they had learned about penguins. Here are some of my favorites:
This one tugs at my heart because it looks like my pug :)
Their penguins are so cute! I love the little details they added to them. Not sure why one of them has a wand, or a cane, but they had fun with it :) Penguin Craft can be found HERE.
2. We also completed many activities from this book:
This has been my go to penguin book since I began teaching! It was a gift to me from my mentor teacher when I student taught. It is the best! You can find it HERE.
3. I don't think I shared our MLK activities, so this is what we did:
We read a Scholastic News magazine, did some close reading with a MLK passage from Teacher to the Core and completed this craft, also from Teacher to the Core.
4. We received our latest grant from Donors Choose. This grant got us some needed supplies and some more books.
By the way the book Penguin in Love is the cutest! It inspired some writing ideas for one of my kids. I will be back to share her story as I forgot to take a picture of it.
5. Coming as soon as I take some pictures :)
Now make sure to link up your week's happenings with Doodle Bugs Teaching and link up for Five for Friday!